Front Panel | Rear Panel | Hookup
The Drake R8B is an excellent series of receivers and has a very extensive set of features for casual shortwave listening and DXing. With the SWL IR Remote you can enter frequencies directly, move quickly up and down through frequencies, enter memory channels directly, move quickly up and down through memories, and control modes of the receiver. All of the features available through the computer interface that apply to IR remote operation of the R8/A/B have been implemented in the SWL IR Remote. Drake does not provide a means to control the Volume or Squelch using the computer interface. The front panel of the R8B still can be used when the remote is operational. The SWL-IR R8 remote comes configured for use with the R8B (but can be reconfigured for the R8 using a simple "091" configure command).
Please note that this device requires a Universal Remote Control (not supplied). The AC wall adapter and RS232C cable are included. Click here to view hook up. Click here to view real panel of the SWL IR unit
Please note that neither the SWL IR or the Universal Remote are Drake products.
- Turn receiver on and off.
- Enter frequency directly to 10Hz in the range of 100kHz to 30MHz.
- Increase or decrease frequency using CH +/- in steps of 10Hz, 100Hz, 1kHz, 5kHz, 9kHz, 10kHz, 100kHz, and 1MHz in the range of 100kHz to 30MHz.
- Set up to five (5) User Tuning Steps. Useful for detuning frequencies by one half of filter bandwidth or use a very small frequency step to quickly zero-beat in SSB mode.
- Recall last directly entered frequency.
- Directly select memory channels.
- Move up and down through memory channels using CH +/-.
- Start and Stop programmed and memory scans.
- Move memory frequency and mode to VFO.
- Write VFO frequency and mode to memory channel.
- Toggle between AM, LSB and USB.
- Toggle Synchronous Detection on or off.
- Select VFO or Memory mode.
- Select Fast or Slow AGC.
- Select Bandwidth.
- Toggle Preamp on or off.
- Select ANT 1 or 2.
- Toggle RF Attenuation on or off.
- Turn Notch Filter on or off.
- Cycle through step sizes.
- Settable parameters: Configure SWL IR Remote for Drake model (R8, R8A, or R8B).
Frequency pacing. You can control the pacing of frequency up and down. This is how fast the frequency changes when you hold the CH+/- keys.
- Define up to five User Tuning Steps.
- Status LED that shows communications status, settable parameter entry, and clear key operation.
||SWL Remote R8
||This infrared remote module unit connects to the RS232 port on the back panel of the R8/A/B. Requires Universal Remote (not supplied).
||RCU 400 Remote
||RCA Universal remote control hand unit, providing standard Sony TV and VCR codes. Requires two AAA cells not supplied.