ARRL's VHF Digital Handbook
By Steve Ford, WB8IMY. Order #2695 ..... $19.95
Ham radio operators are using digital radio applications for fun, technical achievement, and public service. And it’s no wonder. Getting started often requires little more than a VHF radio and a computer. Without complicated “owners manual” jargon—ARRL’s VHF Digital Handbook presents the material through a unique how-to approach and friendly, conversational style. Readers will understand how to setup and operate their equipment and software, and make the best use of their VHF digital station. Contents include:
* Packet Radio Fundamentals: All the basics including TNCs, operating commands, and networks (such as DX Packetcluster).
* APRS – The Automatic Position Reporting System: Track moving objects on maps (other stations, public service vehicles, marathon runners, etc.). Connect your own GPS receiver and transmit your location even as you’re moving!
* D-STAR: Enjoy high-speed digital voice and data on the growing network of D-STAR repeaters.
* High Speed Multimedia: Discover how you can set up your own wireless Amateur Radio data network by modifying over-the-counter gear such as routers and access points.
* Digital Meteor Scatter and Moonbounce: Explore weak signal operating using the software masterpiece WSJT by Joe Taylor, K1JT.
* Technical Descriptions: In-depth information about AX.25, D-STAR and APCO-25 protocols.
* Plus, digital applications in public service and emergency communications: Packet radio, APRS, Winlink 2000 and more!
©2008 American Radio Relay League.
Click here to view back cover.